Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Religion: That ol' Black Magic (otherwise known as what lens are you using?)

Earlier this week I posted a quote from the 14th Dalai Lama on my FB page. Little did I know this tiny quote would spark so much controversy:

"The time has come to find a way of thinking about spirituality and ethics that is beyond religion." --Dalai Lama

My original intent for posting this quote was not to start WWIII; rather I wanted  to agree with his holiness that religion, while a (generally) positive construct of modern society, is not the end-all be-all of human existence or even human spirituality. In fact, studies are showing more and more people are claiming themselves to be "spiritual" but not necessarily "religious." What does this mean? Are more people becoming atheists? Are they losing faith in God?

A mentor of mine posted a reply to the discussion on my page:

"There's a saying that, "If there is no God, nothing matters. If there is a God, nothing else matters." Because I believe the second proposition to be true, every other question ultimately finds its resolution there, even apparently trivial...
ones, for "in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose (Paul's Epistle to the Romans 8:28)"
http://www.philippianjailer.com/2012/02/does-god-care-who-wins-super-bowl.html

For the record, I love to talk to all kinds of people about what exactly "God" represents for them. For my mentor he is the omnipotent God of Christianity. For me things are a little more complicated. Herein lies the clincher. When we use the lens of religion we limit ourselves to what that construct means and what terms validate that construct. "God" carries different meanings for a Jew, Muslim, or Christian as compared to a Hindu, Pagan, Agnostic, or even Atheist. 'Religion' has a place in many discussions, but I personally believe it to be an exclusive term with stipulations attached. In this case 'spirituality' may be a more inclusive and universally inviting term. I compare the two terms in meaning and likeness to two other terms I used in a recent essay: religious tolerance and religious pluralism
In the end we need to find ways of communicating with each other than are constructive and respectful. We can disagree all day long on semantics, but there is meaning in the space we share as humans beings on this planet and in this divine universe. 

Blessings,

Denora  

No comments:

Post a Comment