Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Reaffirming the Journey

So today is technically day three of my first "intensive" seminary experience. As I reflect on all the things that brought me to this point I come up with a few thoughts:

 1) No matter how alone you think you may be, especially in an online environment, there are those who feel exactly the same at some point. Additionally, feeling inadequate about how much time you're devoting to something or how well you're doing is entirely relative to just you. If we all spent our lives trying to be Michael Phelps I think a lot of us would be disappointed.

2) I have never felt as inspired by any of my previous academic experiences. Let me highlight that point by saying the people I've met on this journey and continue to meet are in my opinion the bridge-builders of our society. They are simply amazing people who continue to challenge assumptions and make a real difference in this world, and they inspire me to want to learn more, do more, and be the best I can be.

3) Seminary education is hella hard. No one ever warns you of this before you take that first step. But if you can keep placing one foot in front of the other one day at a time you will look back one day and realize you've travelled so far. And if you're lucky, somebody is going to join you on different legs of that journey--they may not travel the whole way with you, but you know you're never alone.

4) We are changing the world. Our friends may not understand, our family might not support us, we may not even grasp what it is we're doing, but we are doing something magical and that deserves its own shout out.

Blessings,

Denora 

2 comments: