Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Obesity Discussion

I was perusing FB today as I normally do (who doesn't?) when I came across two separate articles:

The first is an article from the group I follow. It's an interview with Lyle McDonald--internationally recognized fitness guru and self-proclaimed jerk
http://body-improvements.com/articles/interviews/lyle-mcdonald-interview/

The second is a blog post on obesity versus body image in the Pagan community:
http://soulinteraction.com/2012/07/19/the-pagan-obesity-discussion-and-debate/

I present both cases because for me they represent two sides of the same coin. We are starting to realize on a national level that people in America (and now other countries who never used to have this problem) are obese. We are FAT. There is no way to sugar-coat the issue. But we seem to be in denial about the whole thing. In fact, we are still so much in denial that we will sit in front of our televisions streaming loads of commercials on sugar and fat-infested "food" while munching on said "food" while bemoaning the ever-increasing size of our thighs....then turn around and buy a shake-weight.

Someone. Please. Shoot. Me.

I am waiting for the day when we wake up and start taking control of our lives. Stop blaming the government, stop blaming popular media outlets, and for goodness sake stop blaming the marketing schemes that run rampant around every corner. If you can't leave the grocery store without buying half the cookies and chips in there then learn to just shop in the produce section. If you can't watch TV without seeing a pizza commercial and ordering a pizza then stop watching TV and go do something productive. If you're wondering how you're ever going to be able to see your toes again because your gut is in the way--start with the first step. But for heaven's sake DO something other than whine and moan and blame.

Humanity is beautiful. We are manifestations of the divine and we are meant to sing and dance and rejoice and celebrate. Why have we allowed ourselves to become slaves to our existence? Your body is a temple. Mind what you put into it so only the best may come out.

Blessings,

Denora

2 comments:

  1. Can I ask in which group my interview with Lyle was posted? I saw a bunch of traffic streaming through from FB but couldn't identify the specific page/group.

    Thanks!

    Steve Troutman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Steve,

      I'm a member of the group Fierce.Fit.Fearless on FB (the all-female LG group)I thought it was a well-written article so I decided to share.

      Denora

      Delete