Saturday, March 22, 2014

In Memoriam: Judy Harrow

I first met Judy Harrow at my first Sacred Well Convention in 2010. My best friend and I had decided to go together and there were probably 80 or so people there. We ended up in the same cabin as roomies.

My first impression of her was curious--this woman was clearly respected in our community but I had not heard of her. She had a soft voice and a wisdom that drew me to her. As the weekend went on we listened to her around the fire or I caught small conversations with her about the Goddess and what it means to be a priestess. I remember her telling me about drawing down the moon and what that's like. After the conference I bought her book "Spiritual Mentoring: A Pagan Guide" and found that to be very insightful.

Throughout the years I have come to understand the threads that are woven in our community starting with our elders. They are the ones who have walked the path before us, but we are the ones who will carry the torch in their absence. Judy will leave many behind who have benefited from her teachings and her presence, including me. I can't say it any better than Taniquetil: "Sister Cliendori, may the Ferryman guide you safely to the Summerland."

Here is a Patheos post on her passing: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/themediawitches/2014/03/sad-sudden-loss-of-a-pagan-elder-rest-in-peace-judy-harrow/

Here is her information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judy_Harrow


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this beautiful post, Denora. Judy will be greatly missed, but she is delighted that you are part of her legacy.
    Love and Blessings.
    Taniquetil.

    ReplyDelete