Saturday, June 30, 2012

Defining the Writer (or other person) Within

This past assignment was appropriately labeled "Autobiographical Narrative of Self as a Writer" which sounds nice, but comes out as a huge mouthful that leaves you wondering how to digest it. Basically, the task was to analyze anything we may have written in the past, things we have yet to write, or our own personal writing style...etc.

I had to start with a simple list because my brain needed fodder. In this case I think the KISS principle applied: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pLRWULxUZY6uCvUvvjIESFk0MiCtZxVDgUPQicvc7w4/edit

Needless to say this was a nice exercise in self-awareness if nothing else. If you took at least five minutes to write down a list of items that describe you (it can be adjectives, or statements, or whatever else you wanted) what would you write? Would you like the things you had to say about yourself? This particular list focused on our writing, but I get the feeling if I expanded the list to include other areas I may find things I like about me and maybe some I need to improve. 

I think the idea here without turning this into another self-love lecture would be to turn this into a self-awareness exercise. And if you happen to read this and think it's a great idea, then realize you may have more improving to do that you thought you can take a cue from ol' Ben Franklin: http://www.thebridgemaker.com/the-benjamin-franklin-13-week-self-improvement-challenge/

Cheers,

Denora

No comments:

Post a Comment