Thursday, June 28, 2012

Learning Styles

Since I have returned from the wilderness of North Carolina, I find it is necessary to also return my focus to homework....

Luckily, none of the assignments thusfar are particularly grueling. In fact, this week's focus seems to be all about learning exactly how you learn--do you listen well, are you a crazy bouncy person, etc. I decided to take three of the offered quizzes and averaged my responses together:

What Are My Learning Strengths?

This quiz was broken out into eight sections, asking random questions about verbal intelligence versus logical or mathematical (not my strong point) versus visual...(you get the point) The scoring parameters were vague and I believe there to simply represent the prescence of a particular trait without adding a numerical value. Here's how I scored:

Verbal/Linguistic Intelligence - 9
Logical/Mathematical - 7
Visual/Spacial - 7
Bodily/Kinesthetic - 8
Musical/Rhythmic - 8
Interpersonal - 8
Intrapersonal - 7
Naturalist - 8

Now, what does all of this mean? I had a classmate describe his experience this way:

"Also, being a "Nature boy", hiking, surviving in the wild, etc. I was surprised that I scored the lowest (3.86) in the Nature category. Maybe my instinctive knowledge of how to survive in and interact with Nature was more inter and intrapersonal than naturalist, as in:
"Hey, Bear! Wanna take a walk with me?" and "How does meeting this hungry bear make me feel?" rather than "Oh shit! A BEAR! I should organize it into a category in relation to these tall trees over there". hmmmm.... as I remember it was more like my buddy stopping me and saying "don't move a muscle or we are dead meat..." then instructing me what to do. Yeah, very Social and interpersonal.
And Language. Curiously, I did not sing to the bear. Maybe that is why I am still able to take surveys..."

If we follow his example I describe myself like this:

"I can tell you almost every detail about the bear, down to what he probably ate for breakfast, but not the mathematical relevancy of how much it weighs or what it looks like. I will also want to pet the bear and probably dance and sing with it, while inviting it to tea or some such other friendly activity..."

Now we move on to the next quiz: Multiple Intelligences: Find Your Strengths!

After this quiz I can conclude that I am a total, complete, and all encompassing hippie. I scored the highest in musical competency (5), followed closely by language (4.43), and finally by nature (4.14) So much for dancing and having tea with my bear-friend.

My last quiz attempt left me feeling well-rounded: Learning Styles

Visual: 44
Auditory: 40
Kinesthetic: 44

So in the end I believe I learn quite well by visuals, but also through music and other such mediums. I talk with my hands, write stuff down but hardly ever reference it again, and engage in as much sarcastic banter as I can muster from others. I'm a friendly, dancing and singing bear-hugging hippie. Moral of the story? Three cheers also for self-awareness.

-Denora

No comments:

Post a Comment